About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
Under the direction of the Marketing Manager, the assistant is responsible for a range of support tasks for the Marketing department of the University Press. Under the supervision of the Marketing Manager, the staff assistant will perform a range of tasks to promote, publicize and sell the Press’s books, to include filing, mailing, data entry, metadata maintenance and uploads. As time allows, the assistant may help general office duties in other departments within the Press.
- Facilitate coordination and mailing of promotional copies, review copies, and other press-related ground mail
- Send queries to media and review venues in order to arrange for coverage and publicity of Press titles
- Compile, coordinate and ship materials for conferences
- Provide sales support, including preparation of materials for sales representatives, follow up with booksellers and other buyers Upload metadata to online services
- Perform routine maintenance and updates to Press web site
- Conduct online research to scout appropriate venues and promotion possibilities for selected titles (These venues would include newspapers, magazines, blogs, newsletters, and book reviews as well as relevant scholarly meetings and events)
- Solicit input, compose, prepare and post social media content
- Enter author and reviewer data into press wide database
- Track and maintain data on reviews and media coverage to share with authors
- Interact with authors, members of the university community, and the general public
- Carry out general office tasks and support activities
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 2 years general office support.
- Strong English language skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Excel.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Attention to detail.
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
B.A.in English, Journalism or similar field strongly preferred.
Half-time position (18.75 hrs/wk)
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.