The Senior Accountant will be a major contributor to the financial close process and financial reporting for the Global Business Services group. He/she will be responsible for contributing to the production of accurate and timely reporting of monthly / quarterly / annual results at the Group level. The Senior Accountant will bear responsibility for certain aspects of the financial accounting results through Financial Statement reconciliations, analysis and monthly journal entries. All activities of this position will be performed in conformance with our established policies as well as GAAP, SOX, and any other applicable regulatory requirements.
Job Function and Description
Participate in the monthly and quarterly accounting close, including the preparation of journal entries. Responsibilities will also include assigned accounting tasks/calulations,financial statement analysis as needed and reporting of data to support our external SEC filings. Ensure all information received by the business units, subsidiary systems, and interfaces are accurate, timely and are in compliance with all GAAP and U.S. statutory requirements.
Prepare and document balance sheet account reconciliations and financial statement analysis on a monthly basis. Ad Hoc reporting and analysis to support the financials and other projects.
Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of established internal controls to ensure compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley. This will include making recommendations for enhancements or modifications to existing processes and systems. Responsible for the preparation of monthly and quarterly Sarbanes-Oxley control packages per the documented requirements.
Participate with formal bank account documents and overview of banking controls
Participate in all aspects of internal and external financial and operational audits.
Prepare and file all required government data surveys.Perform special projects as required.
Education and Experience Requirements
- BS Degree in Accounting required
- CPA is preferred as well as background in public accounting, Big 4 is a plus.
- Prior experience as part of an accounting team within a global company is preferred.
- 6+ years of related experience is required
- Experience in service-oriented or shared services finance organization is preferred.
Key Skills, Abilities, and Competencies
- Strong knowledge of GAAP and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance requirements.
- Strong knowledge of MS Excel. Functional ability in Word and PowerPoint. Familiarity with MS Access would also be a plus.
- The ability to handle ambiguity and work effectively in a constantly changing environment are critical.
- Experience with SAP is a strong plus, as well as experience with Hyperion Financial Manager (HFM) and Blackline software .
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are needed. Must have the ability to interact with peers as well as management throughout the Company. Building relationships will be a key success factor for this position. Another key success factor will be the ability to handle ambiguity and to deal effectively with a constantly changing environment.
- The successful candidate will at times be the first person people encounter when contacting the Shared Service Center Americas Group. As a result of this visibility, he/she must ensure all communications and interactions are professional, courteous and show a desire to be of service.
- A demonstrated customer service focus will be critical for this position. This is a service organization and that will require the highest commitment to understanding customer needs and meeting/exceeding their expectations.
- The successful candidate needs to be able to work in a fast paced environment, be creative, be energetic and be enthusiastic.
Complexity and Problem Solving
Must be a proactive problem solver with the ability to think outside the box, arriving at creative and effective recommendations for improvements and enhancements in financial and non-financial operations.
- The candidate should be able to make recommendations to the accounting manager for improvements to current processes.
- The candidate should be able to make recommendations to the accounting manager for improvements to the Controls related to key calculations and processes
Internal and External Contacts
There will be regular interaction with other groups within Shire. Some of these groups include Corporate Controllers Group, Finance, Tax, Treasury, Technical Operations, Commercial Teams, R&D and other Corporate functions. In these interactions it will be important to build strong relationships and provide timely and accurate follow-ups.
- The Senior Accountant will interact and be a key contact for Shire’s Internal Audit team as well as the External Audit team
Location/Region: Exton, PA