THIS POSITION WILL BE POSTED UNTIL JULY 2, 2018 AT 5 P.M.
The Network Engineer will primarily provide an advanced level of expertise and understanding in network design and troubleshooting. This advanced role will design, build, implement and troubleshoot network infrastructure and related systems across the IAA campuses. This includes advising, consulting, planning, developing, installing, configuring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all local and wide area network connections, corporate servers and their associated software, and communication links. This person will also troubleshoot network performance issues, as well as analyze network traffic and provide capacity planning solutions. As secondary role, this position requires in depth knowledge of the duties and responsibilities for (at least) one other technical discipline within the IT infrastructure group to include Security System Admin, Server Systems Admin or Communications Systems Admin.
- Maintain connectivity and uptime service level agreements in conjunction with IT management.
- Monitor and analyze network performance across the organization’s LANs, WANs, and wireless deployments.
- Ensure the stable operation and efficient performance of IAA networks.
- Monitor system capacity to determine its effect on performance.
- Document any necessary physical or configuration changes of the Network and Security Infrastructure in RFC forms, change logs, etc.
- Identify and remediate network performance bottlenecks.
- Work with other members of the infrastructure team to monitor firewall logs, intrusion prevention logs, and network traffic for unusual or suspicious activity. Interpret activity and make recommendations for resolution.
- Maintain all network hardware, equipment and supporting software, including routers, switches, VPN appliances, mobile gateways, and UPSs etc.
- Help to define and update policies, procedures, and associated training for network resource administration, appropriate use, and disaster recovery.
- Inspect, maintain, and where necessary replace network cabling, voice/data jacks, and other network-related infrastructure.
- Ensure network and IP connectivity of all workstations, application servers, data centers and back-end office infrastructure.
- Provide secondary and redundant personnel coverage in at least one of the other technical disciplines for day to day operational and project needs.
- Maintain current documentation of all network infrastructure and related systems to include physical topologies, logical topologies and access credentials.
Planning, Deployment, and Project Participation
- Help to develop and implement policies for network asset management, including maintenance of network component inventory, related documentation, and technical specifications.
- Recommend enhancements to system capacity in order to meet new or changing network demands.
- Other duties as assigned
- Plan and implement any improvement, modification, or replacement of network infrastructure components.
- Plan and manage budgeting for network hardware and software procurement.
- Conduct research on network products, services, protocols, and standards in support of network procurement and development efforts.
- Interact and negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure network products and services.
Formal Education & Certification
- University Bachelor’s degree in the field of computer science, MIS, or related field and 6-8+ years of experience in managing a sophisticated network infrastructure.
- 3-5+ years of experience in network architecture and deployment.
- Minimum certification requirements include: and/or MCSE Security, A+, Network +, Security+, MCP, CCNA Security and VCP. Other recommended certifications include: CCVP, CCWP, CCISP, CCSP, CCNP, CCIE, CCDA, CCDP, MCSA, MCSE, CWNP, BCNP, ITIL
Knowledge & Experience
- Strong knowledge of wired and wireless network management and analysis tools such as Dell OMNM, Solar Winds, Cisco Works, BNA, Cisco WLSE, Paessler PRTG or NetScout.
- Extensive hands-on technical knowledge of network systems, protocols, and standards such as Ethernet, LAN, WAN, xDSL, VRRP, VRF, VPN, OSPF, EIGRP, link aggregation, iSCSI, jumbo frames, TCP/IP, ATM, T1, 802.11x, etc.
- Extensive client/server and operating system experience with Microsoft and Linux.
- Experience working in a switched, routed multi-site environment.
- Extensive hardware, software, and network connection troubleshooting experience.
- Working technical knowledge of current network hardware, including VMware, Brocade, Dell, HP and Cisco.
- Skilled at installing/configuring a wide variety of network hardware - switches, routers, bridges, gateways, etc.
- Knowledge of antivirus, spam, IDS, firewalls, content filtering, and other relevant network and security monitoring tools
- Clear understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to conduct and direct research into IT issues and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Ability to perform general mathematical calculations for the purpose of creating business cases, budgets, and so on.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Exceptional customer service orientation.
- Extensive experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to conduct research into IT networking issues and products as required.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, power tools, and to handle other computer components.
- Occasional squatting and bending for inspection of cables in floors and ceilings.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as switches and computers
- 40 -hour on-site work week plus on-call rotation
- Exposure to high-stress situations
- Multiple work sites
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
About this company
Established as a municipal corporation by the General Assembly in 1962, the Indianapolis Airport Authority (IAA) owns, develops and operates six airports in the Indianapolis metropolitan area. The Indianapolis Airport Authority (IAA) offers career opportunities in various occupations. Many of our employees fall in love with the IAA environment and feel great pride for their workplace, earning respect in return. For this reason many of our employees are tenured and have been with IAA for more than 20 years.
Location/Region: Indianapolis, Indiana