Communications & Marketing Specialist
University of Massachusetts Amherst
The Communications and Marketing Specialist will support and promote the social justice mission of the College of Education. Increase the College's efforts to enhance our national and international reputation. Increase the visibility of faculty and student activities involving teaching, research, and outreach to a wider variety of communities. Support development activities at the college. Develop marketing plans to promote academic programs, especially online and professional programs, in order to recruit a diverse, talented pool of students. Promote the College's activities with constituents such as alumni, donors, foundations, legislators, prospective students and faculty, interested friends, and the general public.
- Utilize a collaborative approach to develop, implement, and direct a comprehensive internal and external communications plan for the College of Education. Assists the Director of Finance in preparing budget for communication and marketing efforts.
- Create marketing and communication materials for use in print, web, multimedia, and social media. Direct the work of designers, photographers, and other resources when necessary to create website, video, and social media content that is engaging and appealing to the market area of the College. Maintain an archive of text, photo, and video content. Generate ideas for communications which create interest in, and effectively promote the College by proactively seeking out and highlighting the activities, accomplishments, and awards of faculty, students, staff, and alumni.
- Responsible for the College of Education's overall web and social media presence. Ensure that the College of Education's online presence is dynamic, engaging, accurate, and appealing to prospective students, alumni, and friends of the College. Coordinate a comprehensive and decentralized content management strategy for content featured on the college web site including managing and uploading material for the main webpage. Oversee digital marketing activities, including use of analytics to assess effectiveness of online ads and social media strategies. Maintain a deep knowledge of current and evolving web and social networking technologies, trends, and best practices.
- Collaborate with faculty, staff, students, the college leadership team, the dean, director of development, program development team, external marketing agencies, and university administrative offices, including University Relations and central IT. Serve as the college's representative to campus communications groups. Maintain knowledge of University communication and marketing policies, procedures, branding, and resources.
- Research, write, and/or edit content to be used in development campaigns, promotion materials, and other assigned communications projects, such as periodic reports and internal and external Dean's office communications. Research and writing projects may include interviewing faculty, students, staff, alumni, administrators, and friends of the College.
- Assist the Dean's office in planning, scheduling, and managing College events. Provide marketing expertise, attend meetings, send invitations, attend events, and take photographs and videos at events to be used for communications and marketing material.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisors showing adaptability and flexibility to accomplish goals.
- Travel and attend meetings as requested.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to Title IX, Clery and other compliance requirements.
- A Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, Business, Journalism or a related field, with at least 4 years of relevant communications experience.
- Demonstrated strong creative, communication, organizational, writing, and editing skills
- Ability to manage multiple, complex tasks with short timeframes; maintain ongoing communications calendar.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the maintenance of website content and website design, including content management systems such as Drupal. Experience with development of Drupal sites.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience designing press-ready print materials using MacOS-based publishing and photo-manipulation software.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience producing video and audio for posting and/or broadcast using video equipment and MacOS-based multimedia capture and editing software.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with current media technology, social media strategies, and online marketing.
- Ability to develop strong working relationships and work collaboratively with staff from central administrative departments (e.g. campus central IT and library) as well as with vendors and outside service providers.
- Ability to work beyond traditional workday hours; transportation to travel to events.
- Experience in large and small event planning.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
Typical office environment
- Monday-Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm
- Required to work occasional nights and weekends.
PSU Salary Schedule
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Review of candidates will begin October 29, 2018 and will continue until a qualified candidate is identified. Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three contacts for professional reference.
To apply, go to: http://careers.umass.edu/amherst/en-us/job/495805/communications-and-marketing-specialist
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.