Executive Sous Chef
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Under the supervision of the Director, UMass Catering, the Executive Sous Chef is responsible for management of the production area of UMass Catering to include food preparation, recipe and menu development, staff scheduling as well as and culinary initiatives. The incumbent of this position also works with the Director, UMass Catering in formulating a yearly food budget for the UMass Catering Department.
- Responsible for hands on production, training and supervision of chefs, training and direct supervision of head cooks, cooks and assistant cooks in all areas of production from just-in-time cooking to display cooking and preparing and presenting cold foods. Train culinary staff in cooking and serving methods, portion control, presentation and merchandising. Work with the management team for merchandising all food related events.
- Responsible for developing specialized catering menu planning with the Director, UMass Catering for special events and new catering programs – monthly advertised specials, specialized menu event planning and production for University, Chancellor related events, and weddings. The Executive Sous Chef will develop recipes under the supervision of the Director, UMass Catering.
- Responsible for the food costs in the production areas.
- Participate in programs of quality assurance, peer review, continuing education. Work with the Director, UMass Catering in program enhancements and participate in weekly production and sales meetings.
- Work with the management team in recruiting new staff and provide training and development for all production personnel. Provide direct supervision of 5-8 staff and input to the Director, UMass Catering concerning performance of these staff.
- Work with the Director, UMass Catering in developing the operating food budget, being accountable for operation within budgetary constraints. Provide leadership functions within food production. Assist in establishing strategic direction and set operating policies. Assist in controlling food cost, maximizing revenue potential and net income for the Catering Services. Monitor the current industry market trends and apply these as needed to catering services.
- Schedule production staff meetings weekly. Maintain sufficient staffing and scheduling within kitchen and pot room, and promote good staff morale.
- Implement the Standard Operation Procedures (SOP).
- Demonstrate and enforce Hazardous Analysis of Critical Control Points (HACCP) principles to include the supervision and maintaining of the sanitary conditions of the food storage areas and pot room area.
- Communicates with the Director, UMass Catering in advance of making changes to menus; order food and supplies, supervise procurement, production and inventory controls; forecast food consumption and maintain accurate records for ordering.
- Supervise all back of the house functions including safety/sanitation and quality control and be visible during events in both back and front of the house.
- Work with the management team in the implementation of the FoodPro Menu Management and Inventory System and implementation of Catering Recipes.
- Understand and be committed to, and supportive of affirmative action and non-discrimination goals and customer-focused quality services.
- Perform other food and beverage activities and duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in related area or certified culinary arts diploma from an accredited culinary school and more than 3 years’ chef or hospitality management experience in a high volume and high quality operation (college, university, hotel) and high end catering services.
- Sanitation Certificate required.
- Certification by a recognized culinary program a plus, e.g., American Culinary Federation (ACF)
- Experience with a computerized menu management system is preferred.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
- Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time and able to lift 25 -30 lbs.
- Varies based on the needs of the department
- May require weekends and evening hours.
Level 27 (associated to Level 28)
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply, please visit: http://careers.umass.edu/amherst/en-us/job/495922/executive-sous-chef
About UMass Amherst:
The University of Massachusetts Amherst (http://www.umass.edu), the flagship campus of the University of Massachusetts system, is a nationally ranked public research university and home to over 23,000 undergraduate and 6,000 graduate students. The 1,430 acre campus is located in the scenic Pioneer Valley of western Massachusetts, 90 miles from Boston and 175 miles from New York City. UMass Amherst, along with Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke and Smith colleges, is a member of the Five College Consortium and the Academic Career network. The region boasts a rural setting with easy access to Boston, Hartford, and New York City. Amherst is nestled between the Berkshire Mountains, Holyoke Range and Pelham Hills providing many recreational opportunities.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Location/Region: Amherst, MA (US - 01003)