The Bluefish Swim Team Assistant Coach is responsible for assisting the Head Coach with instructing and supervising all swimmers in the program. The Montague Bluefish is a youth swim team which competes in the Pioneer Valley Swim League, and operates from October through early March. This individual also reports to the Director of Parks & Recreation.
To have a strong overall knowledge and understanding of all types of competitive swimming strokes and techniques
The ability to clearly communicate the proper method of implementing said strokes and techniques to children
Works with the Head Coach in planning and coordinating practices, meets, and special events relative to the team.
Ability to attend all evening practices and weekend swim meets
- To properly demonstrate and assist children with competitive stroke technique, in and out of water
- To assist the Head Coach in coordinating a well-planned practice schedule, and to efficiently follow-through on said schedule.
- To help ensure a safe Bluefish Swim Team Program
- To assist the Head Coach in effectively coordinating and assigning duties to parent volunteers in relation to practices, swim meets, and special events
- To work with other members of the coaching staff as a liaison between the parents and Director
- To enforce departmental and program policies/procedures, and to address related issues on a timely basis
- Assist the Head Coach in completing all pertinent documentation relative to the program
- Assist the coaching staff in maintaining safety, cleanliness and general care of supplies and equipment used in the program
- Reports damage and loss of supplies and equipment; Reports vandalism of supplies and equipment IMMEDIATELY to the Director of Parks and Recreation
- Reports major injuries, accidents, illness or incidents IMMEDIATELY to the Director of Parks and Recreation
- Maintains a high level of customer service by ensuring that each child and parent is dealt with in a respectful and sensitive manner
- Recommends the purchasing of supplies and materials
- To meet with the Director and other members of the coaching staff throughout the season to provide updates and recommendations concerning program planning and general function of the program
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary by the Head Coach and/or Director
Practical knowledge of all strokes, and the ability to teach them in a clear and concise manner
Responsible, reliable, respectful and works as a positive role model to all participants and staff members
The ability to use common sense and good judgment concerning all matters
Communicates clearly and effectively to staff members, children and parents
The ability to make effective decisions during high stress situations
The ability to change duties at a moments notice
High school graduate or GED equivalent
College graduate preferred
Current Certifications in Basic Lifeguarding and First Aid and CPR required
Current Certifications as a Water Safety Instructor preferred
Previous swim coach experience preferred
Previous experience in working with children preferred.
Candidates must have a Criminal Offense Record Inventory (CORI) and Sexual Offender Record Inventory (SORI) to be eligible for employment.
*Open until filled.
Location/Region: Turners Falls, MA