Campus Center Food Services
University of Massachusetts Amherst
General Manager, Campus Center Food Services is responsible for the total management of the various retail food concepts in the Campus Center.
- Personnel Management
- Hire, discipline and terminate staff and initiate personnel actions as required. Responsible for scheduling and training of staff. Perform other duties as required.
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Initiate, develop, implement and maintain operating systems that improve efficiencies and cost effectiveness
- Develop goals and objectives for the various retail food concepts in the Campus Center.
- Responsible for monitoring with strict adherence to all established food and labor budgets assigned to the various retail food concepts in the Campus Center.
- Use benchmark (KRI) weekly to measure business.
- Prepare budgets for each retail food concept in the Campus Center; including long and short term planning in the areas of retail unit layout, product selection and presentation, forecast trends and anticipate customer demands.
Operations and Facilities:
- Responsible for the selection and participate in the purchasing of products sold, determine product presentation, location, floor layout, seasonal changes, maintaining continuity of products and presentation as well as introducing new products and services, expansion plans, and remodeling to maximize sales and revenue potential.
- Monitor and maintain proper inventory levels, establish selling prices in accordance with departmental policy.
- Ensure the cleanliness of all food service units to meet sanitation requirements and provide a pleasant atmosphere for the customers.
- Assist the Cook III with the purchase and inventory of food items using the Food Pro Menu Management and Inventory system for the retail food services operations.
- Assist the Cook III with developing and implementing quarterly safety and kitchen skills training programs for the culinary staff.
May be assigned to other units within the Dining Services department as business directs.
Marketing and Community:
- Participate in programs of quality assurance, peer review, continuing education, food committee, year-in-review.
- Responsible for merchandising all food concept events for menus, mini and major specials.
- Maintain a professional signage system - no handwritten signs are allowed.
- Assist the Associate Director, Retail Dining Services and Executive Chef in the organizing, planning and implementation of special events to ensure client satisfaction, food quality and food safety.
Interact with customers in the dining areas during meal hours; maintain formal and informal communication with students through comment cards, food committee meetings, etc.
- Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department, Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to Title IX, Clery and other compliance requirements.
- Demonstrates capacity, skill and willingness to engage students and contribute to student success.
- Works collaboratively with other campus stakeholders to fulfill the mission of Student Affairs and Campus Life.
- Understands responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behaves in ways consistent with law and University policy.
- Contributes toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity, and collaboration.
- Understands and contributes to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
- Uses access to sensitive and/or not yet public university related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercises care to prevent unnecessary disclosure to others.
- Bachelor's degree
- 3 years retail food services management
- Knowledge of computerized food production management system.
- Related experience in marketing, merchandising, advertising and retail accounting systems
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Systems
- Ability to work weekends, varied shifts, irregular hours including evenings and holidays.
- Must be organized and detail oriented with strong interpersonal skills.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
Carrying, Pulling, Pushing, Repetitive Movement, Standing, Driving, Reaching, Sitting, Twisting, Lifting
Varies based on the needs of the department
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to: http://careers.umass.edu/amherst/en-us/job/496062/general-manager-campus-center-food-services. Submit application by November 30, 2018 for priority consideration. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.