Holyoke Media, Inc., is a community media (public, education and government television,
multimedia and arts) organization seeking a founding Executive Director to build a forward thinking,
cutting-edge center for the entire Holyoke community. We are intent on building a next generation
model community media center and are seeking a dynamic, innovative leader who
can empower, create, and collaborate to build the foundation of a vibrant organization. Holyoke
Media is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that seeks to serve the community of
Holyoke, Massachusetts, with a population of 40,249 residents. Along with Holyoke Media, the
City of Holyoke has signed a well-funded contract with Comcast Corporation. We seek an
energized leader with directly related or transferable skills in the fields of community media, as
well as community building and technology experience to establish and execute a vision of
success for this newly forming organization. This is a national search for a leader in community
• Develop and implement a multifaceted organizational strategy to deliver on mission,
vision, and goals.
• Develop and implement the organization’s annual operating financial plans, policies and
procedures with the board of directors and staff; ensure that the organization operates
within budget guidelines and provide regular financial reports and analysis to the board.
• Oversee establishment of physical space for the organization and purchase and
installation of equipment.
• Oversee the recruitment, employment and supervision of all personnel, both paid staff
and volunteers; encourage staff and board development and education, and assist staff
in relating their specialized skill to Holyoke Media’s overall vision, mission and goals.
• Ensure that job descriptions are developed, that regular performance evaluations are
conducted, and that sound human resource policies and practices are in place.
• Oversee operations and program development.
• Oversee development and fund-raising for the organization.
• Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with all appropriate
legislation; administrative rules and policies; federal, state and local regulations; and any
and all contractual obligations.
• Engage, build and maintain relationships with community organizations, government
entities, media and arts organizations, and community members in furtherance of the
organization’s mission; serves as principal liaison to the City of Holyoke (Mayor’s office,
• Help establish and implement a vision for the organization, through short- and longrange
• Oversee marketing and public relations for the organization; act as the official
spokesperson for Holyoke Media.
• Perform other duties as required to implement the mission and goals of the organization.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to communicate effectively to a
variety of audiences.
• Demonstrated leadership and management skills and experience; strong strategic
planning and demonstrated analytical abilities.
• Five or more years Management experience in a nonprofit, community or
communications organization; direct experience in community television is a plus;
transferable experience and knowledge will also be considered.
• Ability to work effectively with local government officials.
• Marketing, public relations and public speaking experience.
• Experience in financial oversight and budgeting.
• Fundraising, grant writing, or transferable experience.
• An entrepreneurial spirit with proven ability to create innovative programs to best meet
• Highly collaborative leadership style, with demonstrated success working in teams and
within highly inclusive and participatory decision making processes.
• Exceptional cultural competence and demonstrated commitment to community media;
demonstrated ability to effectively interact, communicate and collaborate with people
from a wide range of cultural, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds.
• BA or equivalent in communications, business, marketing, nonprofit, multimedia, or other
• Spanish language proficiency is a plus, as is experience working with populations for
whom English is a second language.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is $58K-$68K, commensurate with experience. Holyoke Media offers a benefits package to include medical benefits.
Application deadline: March 31st, 2017.
Holyoke Media is an equal opportunity employer and believes each individual is entitled to equal
employment opportunities without regard to race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender
identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, military status, religious beliefs, or
disability. The right of equal employment opportunity extends to recruiting, hiring selection,
transfer, promotion, training and all other conditions of employment. Holyoke Media is an at-will