The Senior Development Officer reports to the Director of Major and Planned Gifts and is a key contributor to the Edward and Janet Murrow Society program which raises annual unrestricted funds for WGBY. Primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, prospecting, cultivation and stewardship of Murrow Society (MS) members and potential members with high level capacity for philanthropic giving in order to meet overall financial goals. Of great importance will be identifying new MS members and upgrading current members, with a focus on MS constituents giving under $10,000 with ability to grow. This position involves work with MS Committee and Board of Tribune members, as well as face-to-face interactions with important donors and donor prospects. At times, the Senior Development Officer will work with the General Manager, board chair or other WGBY designates and surrogates.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS – PERCENTAGES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
40% MURROW SOCIETY DONOR STEWARDSHIP, CULTIVATION and SOLICITATION.
- Work with the Director of Major and Planned Giving to meaningfully design and manage an evolving portfolio of current Murrow Society donors who have been identified for further growth within Murrow Society levels.
- Through a variety of means including in-person meetings, email and print communication, phone calls, events and other engagement activities, cultivate these members to achieve specific meeting and upgrade expectations in order to meet department financial goals.
- Work directly with the General Manager, Director of Major and Planned Giving, Murrow Society Committee, WGBY Board of Tribunes, and others to develop the relationships identified for upgrades within Murrow Society as well as identify donors targeted for special gifts above and beyond annual contributions.
- Utilize data-mining tools to identify donor potential and important background information.
30% MURROW SOCIETY PROSPECTS
- Productively manage an evolving pool of donors giving at sub-MS levels, including prospects not currently giving to WGBY, who have capacity to give at the Murrow Society level.
- Working in conjunction with the General Manager, Murrow Society Committee, Board of Tribunes, and others, ensure an ongoing flow of prospects and design communications and engagement strategies to meet specific goals for new member joins from this group. Utilize Salesforce tool to track this group of prospects and develop analytic tool to assist in tracking activity within this prospect pool.
- Utilize data-mining tools to discover prospects and important background information.
10% General MURROW SOCIETY DONOR RELATIONS
- Includes ongoing communication with a wide range of Murrow Society donors who have recently become new members, who have upgraded, or who deserve other personal attention for a variety of reasons. Works with the Director of Major and Planned Giving assisting in the management of key elements of the MS Stewardship Program.
5% PLANNED GIVING PROSPECTS
- Assist the Director of Major and Planned Gifts in identifying current WGBY donors as Planned Giving prospects.
- Enterprise new prospects.
5% Other duties as assigned
- Included but not limited to participate in station Special/Community Events, Membership Drives and/or activities in order to cultivate donors at all levels.
- BA is required.
- Position also requires a minimum of five years of development or related experience; membership and/or annual fund experience is preferred.
- Essential are excellent interpersonal and presentation skills; superb verbal and written communication; command of the systems that support annual fund work and an interest in leveraging those systems to support increased membership and revenue.
- Knowledge of Microsoft, Salesforce, and other databases is important.