Assistant Director of Housing and Residence Life
Springfield College invites applications for a full-time, live-on, Assistant Director of Housing and Residence Life. The Assistant Director is provided with a two bedroom apartment, in an off-campus property immediately adjacent to campus, within one of our two off-campus graduate student communities. Under the supervision of the Director of Housing and Residence Life, this professional staff member will be a member of the central office staff for the Office of Housing and Residence Life. The Assistant Director of Housing and Residence Life must be a detail-oriented, and highly collaborative leader and must demonstrate knowledge of a broad range of Housing and Residence Life functions including but not limited to: programming, policy development, crisis management, supervision, housing assignment process, student conduct and staff development. The Assistant Director is highly involved in the oversight and assessment of a comprehensive housing and residence life program for approximately 2100 students (there is a 3 year residential requirement for undergraduate students and we house 365 seniors and over 100 graduate students) with one associate director, one live-on assistant director, three live-on area coordinators, 7 resident directors (graduate students), 2 graduate associates, and 61 student staff. The residential system currently includes 7 traditional halls, 3 suite-style apartment areas, 27 houses and 13 apartments.Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work with the full complement of housing and residence life staff to create, implement and assess a residential engagement model with appropriate developmental outcomes for each residential area
- Recruit, select, train and provide ongoing direct supervision and development for a full-time area coordinator, the graduate associate for programming, and indirectly supervise 3-4 Resident Directors
- Assist the Director with planning for and conducting ACUHO-I internal review for department
- Participate in Division-wide Late Night and Weekend Programming Committee and provide leadership and coordination for Housing and Residence Life involvement
- Coordinate departmental programming for new students in residence hall communities during New Student Orientation
- Assist with creation of comprehensive marketing efforts for the department including specific focus on marketing housing to rising senior and graduate students
- Develop and implement ways to encourage and structure faculty and other student affairs departments' participation in the residence halls
- Develop systems to track programmatic outcomes and centralize program resources for all members of the department
- Coordinate and conduct room and building inspections, work with Associate Director of Housing and Residence Life and Facilities to ensure timely response to work orders
- Assist with ongoing student, graduate student and professional staff development
- Assist with campus-wide event staffing including Family Weekend, Admission Open Houses, etc.
- Work cooperatively with other campus offices including: All offices in the Division of Student Affairs as well as Facilities, Bursar's Office, Registrar's Office, Information Technology, Academic Affairs units, Financial Aid, Public Safety, Undergraduate and Graduate Admissions, etc.
- Participate in the centralized on-call duty rotation schedule
- Serve as a community standards hearing officer for incidents within residential communities
Master's degree in related field preferred, with a minimum of three years of professional experience in housing and residence life. Strong supervision and programming experience as well as communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills, and the ability to work in a team environment while handling a variety of administrative tasks are essential. Excellent organizational, problem resolution and customer service skills are a must. High attention to detail with the ability to manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines. Proficiency with computer systems and software such as housing management software, student management software, etc. and MS Office Suite. Ability to pass background check.
Springfield College is committed to enhancing diversity and equality in education and employment.