Full-time, 35 hours per week, year round position, salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
The Assistant Museum Educator expands Amherst College students' engagement with the Mead and the arts through creative leadership of Team Mead (the museum's student education group) and mentoring of Mead student employees and interns, offering in-depth exposure to the range of careers in museums and the arts. Develops programs that increase the museum's visibility as a place of student participation and exploration of object study and visuality within the liberal arts. Provides opportunities for and mentorship in potential arts careers for undergraduates. The Assistant Museum Educator designs collaborative programs in conjunction with Amherst College and Five College organizations for diverse college and community audiences. In addition, creates innovative and transformative educational experiences for K-12 school groups visiting the Mead working with trained college student educators. Takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Two-year appointment with the possibility of renewal.
- Designs the museum's student program (Team Mead) by organizing collection training sessions and enrichment activities for the college students who serve as the Mead's art gallery ambassadors during the academic year. Encourages Amherst and Five College students to participate in the creative arts and to explore multiple avenues of involvement.
- Coordinates the eight-week summer internship program for 3-6 Amherst College students that introduces participants to a variety of career opportunities in the arts and includes site visits across New England.
- Organizes annual three-day first-year orientation program (LEAP) for 35 incoming Amherst students.
- Creates and executes innovative and participatory education programs, including weekend and evening events, targeting Amherst students and the community. In conjunction with the Mead's Public Programming and Marketing Coordinator, seeks out collaborative links across the Amherst campus. Works with area and national artists to create programs supporting creative engagement with the museum.
- Develops and organizes tours and other interactive experiences for K-12 age groups that visit with school classes and also with families.
- Leads a wide range public tours, talks, and art-making activities throughout the year.
- Supervises two or more student interns and mentors other museum student employees, including lobby attendants/visitor services team (approx. 15 additional students).
Facilitates college class museum visits when appropriate.
- Bachelor's Degree
- 1 year of experience in the design and implementation of museum programs
- Experience with programs and learning opportunities that promote student engagement with museums
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong public speaking, problem solving, interpersonal, organizational and time management skills
- Ability to take initiative, work independently and collaboratively
- Experience with Microsoft Office or equivalent
- Able to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Master's Degree in Art History or related field
- Experience with Photoshop and design software
Interestedcandidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (e-mail and/or telephone number) for three professional references. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
Amherst College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities to apply. The College is committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff.
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 49 states, plus D.C., Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary(https://www.amherst.edu/mm/78261) and the Book & Plow Farm(http://www.bookandplowfarm.com/); three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum(https://www.emilydickinsonmuseum.org/), Beneski Museum of Natural History(https://www.amherst.edu/mm/44872) and Mead Art Museum(https://www.amherst.edu/mm/72371); and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst a great place to work, learn and live!
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/yrynhskd8z9d79sf