Full-time, 40 hours per week, year round position, grade 14, $14.54 per hour
The Dining Services Assistant supports the efforts of Dining Services to provide the campus community with excellent quality and customer service. The assistant maintains safe, clean, orderly, and sanitary conditions, as well as assist with the execution of food and beverage service within the Dining Commons throughout the year. The assistant takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
The work schedule is generally, 7:30 am - 4:00 pm, Monday thru Friday. The Dining Services Assistant position is part of essential services and should report to work, or remain on duty, even when the college is closed.
- Prepare and maintain the stations within the servery, maintain the dish room and ensure that all supplies including the necessary chemicals, are available and properly stored in the dish room. Maintain the interior and exterior of the dish machine and conveyor belts, floors, and walls, as well as, all tray, silverware, dish, and glass carts. Provide support for the Server when necessary.
- Maintain laundry, ensure dining rooms and servery are fully ready to open for meal service, a high level of sanitation is maintained, and an adequate supply of products are available.
- Oversee student and casual employees including report attendance to a supervisor and provide initial training to new employees.
- Collaborate with the Catering Department in regards to coffee/beverage orders and deliveries, assist with large College events, such as Family weekend, Homecoming, Commencement, and Reunion Weekend.
- Basic math skills
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills including the ability to follow verbal and written instructions
- Excellent customer service, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Strong time-management skills including the ability to multi-task and function efficiently in a fast paced environment
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including working occasional evening shifts and overtime including during days off
- Commitment to diversity and inclusiveness
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- A valid driver's license and successful credentialing in order to operate college vehicles
- Food service experience
Environmental and Physical Demands
- Lifting, pushing, pulling, and carrying 35 pounds. Limited lifting, pushing, pulling, and carrying objects up to 60 pounds with assistance
- Requires repetitive motions (fingers, wrists, hands and arms)
- Occasional exposure to extreme temperatures, and wet and greasy floors
- Frequent bending, squatting, and reaching
- Extended periods of standing and walking
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (e-mail and/or telephone number) for three professional references, or complete the online application. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
Amherst College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities to apply. The College is committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff.
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 49 states, plus D.C., Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst a great place to work, learn and live!