Full-time, 40 hours per week, year round position, grade 14, $14.54 per hour
The Third Cook- PM supports the efforts of Amherst College Dining Services by providing the campus community with excellent service through the quality production of our dinner menus. This position supports a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment. This position ensures that the quantity and quality of our production are consistent with the standards of Dining Services and works with members of the team to limit discrepancies. This individual produces menu components from fresh and exceptional ingredients and is proficient in the technical skill and knowledge required to achieve this, being well versed in food, its history, and trends.
The work schedule varies and corresponds to the College's operational needs, but is generally scheduled Sunday through Thursday, 11:30 am - 8:00 pm and/or 12:30 pm - 9:00 pm. At times, this position may be asked to assist with other production needs in student dining or assist with catering and campus-wide events at any time. As our work is central to student life, their needs occur at a variety of times throughout the day, week, and year and in such, a flexible schedule with extended shift times is required. In addition, the position is designated as providing essential services and should report to work, or remain on duty even though the College is closed.
- Prepare assigned menu items to standard, including hot and cold food menu items while adhering to standardized recipes and production methods
- Maintain operational standards and Health Department regulations
- Ensure all areas are maintained in an orderly, clean, and sanitary manner
- Set-up food items prior to and during meals meeting established standards, manage the rotation of goods to ensure highest quality
- Perform work in a safe and efficient manner; ensure operational organization before, during, and after service
- Ensure that equipment used is in sound, working order; tools used are properly cared for and stored
- Communicate operational needs and concerns effectively and pro-actively
- Help to maintain the accuracy of production schedules and usage reports
- Maintain a commitment to the quality of our resources and work to prevent loss and eliminate waste
- Promote our standards of quality and service and the safety of our work environment
- Help create, maintain, and serve seasonal, fresh menus from exceptional ingredients
- Assist with product and process refinement
- Assist with new product research and development
- Corrects discrepancies in production sheets and recipes
- Assist with the inventory of storage and supply areas
- Inspect deliveries for quality and accuracy and communicate deficiencies
- Communicate product needs through appropriate channels
- Work effectively to reduce waste and loss of supply and goods
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Current ServSafe Manager Certification or be able to achieve within (6) months of employment
- Allergen Awareness as required by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- 2 + years of food preparation experience including hot and cold food production, high volume catering/banquet production, buffet presentation, a'la carte cooking, baking, and pastry
- Strong verbal and written communication, customer service, organizational, and time management skills
- Ability to taste and work with any and all ingredients used
- Ability to mathematically reduce and expand measurements required by recipe
- Attention to detail
- Work flexible hours based upon departmental needs including extended shifts
- Associate's degree or equivalent in Culinary Arts
- 3 - 5 years' experience in a similar, high volume, scratch operation
Environmental and Physical Demands
- Ability to lift, carry, push, and pull up to 50 lbs. and occasionally lift, push, pull, and carry objects over 50 lbs. with assistance
- Constant/repetitive motions including fingers, arms, knees, hands and wrists
- Bending, squatting and stooping, reaching outward and above head, constant walking and standing, and ascending/descending stairs
- Close visual concentration with manual dexterity including the ability to perceive color, contrast, and depth as well as the ability to taste and work with any and all ingredients used
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (e-mail and/or telephone number) for three professional references, or complete the online application. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
Amherst College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities to apply. The College is committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff.
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 49 states, plus D.C., Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst a great place to work, learn and live!