Full-time, 40 hours per week, year round position, grade 18, $18.15 per hour
The Maintenance Technician supports the Rental Housing Department which provides a broad range of housing services to eligible faculty and staff members at Amherst College, Smith College and Mount Holyoke College.The Maintenance Technician performs diversified maintenance duties including troubleshooting, repairing and maintaining the rental housing units and carrying out scheduled and emergency maintenance repairs to residential housing units.The Maintenance Technician is responsible for taking appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participating in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
- Troubleshoot and carry out routine repairs in the mechanical, plumbing, electrical, painting, and carpentry trades which do not require a license
- Conduct building inspections and report deficiencies
- Prepare vacant units for rental
- Facilitate and coordinate licensed contractor services
- Assume rotational on-call to address after-hours maintenance emergencies
- Fill out and complete service requests and daily work logs
- Assist the Maintenance Supervisor with the bidding of projects and service contracts, cost estimates and analysis of maintenance needs
- Purchase and maintain shop and vehicle inventory
- High school diploma or equivalent
- A valid driver's license and successful credentialing is required in order to operate college vehicles
- 1 to 3 years of experience in general maintenance and repairs (mechanical systems, plumbing, electrical, painting, and/or carpentry)
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication, and interpersonal skills
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to take initiative, work independently and collaboratively
- CORI check
- Vocational high school diploma
- Specialized training in one or more of the following building trades: mechanical, plumbing, electrical, painting, carpentry
- 4 to 6 years of experience in general maintenance and repairs (mechanical systems, plumbing, electrical, painting, and/or carpentry)
Interestedcandidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (e-mail and/or telephone number) for three professional references, or complete the online application. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
Amherst College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities to apply. The College is committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff.
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 49 states, plus D.C., Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!