Full-time, year round position, salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
Amherst College invites applications for the position of associate director of institutional research. Reporting to the director of institutional research and registrar services within the Office of the Dean of Faculty, the associate director will assist the director in coordinating internal and external reporting, developing new platforms for sharing data with the campus, supporting the college's planning and strategic initiatives, developing new assessments of student learning, and supporting the college's overall mission.
Amherst College has profoundly transformed its student body in terms of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and nationality, among other areas. Today, nearly one-quarter of Amherst's students consists of Pell Grant recipients; 44 percent of our students are domestic students of color. We seek candidates who can demonstrate competence and sensitivity in working in a college in which students are broadly diverse with regard to gender, race, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
- Collect, organize, verify, and edit data from Amherst's administrative databases to use in official reporting, planning, and research activities
- Develop and maintain data dashboards and presentations for senior administrators and college governance bodies
- Assist in the administration and analysis of institutional surveys and survey projects conducted by the COFHE consortium
- Partner with the Department of Information Technology to develop systems to better integrate college data and improve reporting structures
- Work with campus partners to develop data definitions and participate on the CORE data governance committee
- Complete portions of the college's federal IPEDS reporting obligations
- Manage the AAUP faculty salary submission process
- Manage the annual CDS submission
- Compile benchmark data about peer institutions using the IPEDS data system and other sources
- Maintain annual reports for the Office of the Registrar
- Advise the data analyst on data availability and quality for use in a variety of situations
- Supervises the data analyst in the director's absence
- Bachelor's degree
- Five years of related experience
- Experience with Colleague, Business Objects, and/or similar software
- Expertise with Microsoft office products, specifically Excel
- Expertise in statistics and analysis software platforms such as SPSS, STATA, SAS or R
- Advanced knowledge of reporting and dashboard software such as Tableau
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Strong organization, interpersonal, time-management, problem-solving, analytic, customer service, written, and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated relationship-building skills and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to take initiative, work independently and collaboratively
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (e-mail and/or telephone number) for three professional references. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
Amherst College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities to apply. The College is committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff.
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 49 states, plus D.C., Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst a great place to work, learn and live!