Full-time, 40 hours per week, year round position, grade 18, hourly rate commensurate with experience and qualifications
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for office functions to support the Office of the President and staff.
The Administrative Assistant takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
- Monitor President's Office email, forward to staff and follow up when required
- Assist with correspondence, reports, etc. (Assist with entering contacts for mail and email correspondence received)
- Process inauguration invitations and follow up
- Process Acknowledgement letters; print, copy, scan, etc.
- Prepare President's Report to the Board of Trustees
- Prepare follow up correspondence to faculty following Board meetings
- Process all routine invoices and student funding invoices and reimbursements, etc.
- Assist with routine emergency preparedness drills
- Maintain Organizational Chart
- Record keeping; speaker charts, event lists, etc.
- File Maintenance: President's Office comprehensive files (electronic and paper)
- Archive Files
- Calendar Maintenance: Add Campus Events (Athletics, Museum, Academic Department, Student Group, etc.)
- Copy and scan documents
Reception and Office Duties
- Act as back-up receptionist
- Maintain Converse Hall directories
- Purchasing Agent: contact with vendors, order supplies, verify and process invoices
- Constituent Gifts
- Primary contact with IT
- Equipment troubleshooting (computers, copiers, printers) and maintenance
- Faculty and Committee of Six meeting set up and catering
- Assist President's House staff with package returns, etc.
Trustee Office and Chief of Staff Support
- Assist with Senior Staff meetings (notification, agendas, etc.)
- Organizational Charts
- Web and archive research
- Assist with Board meetings
- Receive RSVPs and follow up as appropriate
- Maintain attendee lists
- Prepare briefing documents, nametags, place cards, etc.
- Purchase supplies
- Update and print brochures and documents
- Assist with general campus information and procedures
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- 5 years of related experience
- Excellent written and verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Customer service oriented
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills including able to handle multiple priorities
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and able to learn new software programs
- Able to take initiative, work independently and collaboratively
- Strong attention to details
- A high level of discretion, confidentiality and professionalism
- Occasional nights and weekends are required
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (e-mail and/or telephone number) for three professional references. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
Amherst College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities to apply. The College is committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff.
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington D.C., Puerto Rico, and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst a great place to work, learn and live!