Part-time, year round casual position, no benefits, $13 per hour
The Casual Museum Security Officer ensures a safe and secure environment at the Amherst College Museums (Beneski Museum of Natural History, Mead Art Museum & Russian Cultural Center). Provides exemplary customer services representing the museums and the college. Conducts regular patrols of public areas, staff areas, collections storage, and mechanical spaces, as well as museum exteriors. Ensures the policies, procedures, and mission of the department are adhered to and upheld at all times.The Museum Security Officer takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Work Schedule - Due to the nature of the position, evening and weekend work is required. The work schedule may vary during the following times:
- Tuesday through Friday - 8:30 am - 5:15 am
- Tuesday through Thursday - 5:00 pm - 12:15 am (Academic Year only)
- Friday - 4:15 pm - 8:15 pm
- Saturday - Sunday - 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
- Sunday - 5:00 pm - 12:15 am (Academic Year only)
- Assists with ensuring the policies, procedures and fundamentals of the Museum Security Department are upheld. Refers questions to the Museum Security Supervisor as needed.
- Staffs regular patrol shifts (non-gallery areas) as a Museum Security Officer.
- Assists the museums with special event management and monitoring. Ensures occupancy limitations are not exceeded, and ensures all aspects of the event are adhered to (proximity to art work, no food areas, etc.)
- Assists with setup and breakdown of special event items (clearing gallery furniture out of program spaces and moving in special event tables, chairs and other items as needed).
- Completes activity logs, documents incidents through detailed reports, conducts email correspondence as needed. Documents items through photography.
- Conducts other functions and purposes as needed by the college and its museums including acting as a Lobby Attendant when needed.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, problem solving, time management, interpersonal and customer service skills
- Proficiency with MS Office, Outlook, and Excel
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- 6 months of experience in private security, law enforcement, or a related field
- Associate's Degree (Criminal Justice, Administration, and/ or Emergency Management) and/or an accredited Law Enforcement or Professional Security Officer Certification, additional certifications (CIPS, CPR & First Aid)
Interestedcandidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (e-mail and/or telephone number) for three professional references. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
Amherst College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities to apply. The College is committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff.
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 49 states, plus D.C., Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!