Full-time, 40 hours per week, grade 16, hourly rate commensurate with experience and qualifications
The HR Assistant/Receptionist position serves as the first point of contact for the Office of Human Resources. Greets and directs staff, faculty, students, service providers, applicants and other visitors to the appropriate Human Resources Representative. The HR Assistant/Receptionist answers telephone calls and provides information in a courteous and professional manner. Performs general clerical duties, including filing, and assist other areas within the department, as necessary. This position requires a high level of discretion, confidentiality and professionalism.
This is a one-year term position with the possibility of renewal.
General Office Support
- Greets all visitors in a courteous and professional manner, and directs them to the appropriate HR Representative.
- Answers phone calls, takes accurate messages and provides information, as appropriate.
- Manages employee visits appropriately and expeditiously, and shows good judgment in the handling of sensitive situations or emergencies.
- Manages incoming correspondence and distributes mail to the appropriate individuals.
- Processes appointment and promotional letters, making sure that letters and copies are distributed to employees and supervisors.
- Inputs employee status changes (address, tax, etc.).
- Keeps the calendar for the Chief Human Resources Officer, making sure that requests for meetings are addressed in a timely fashion.
- Maintains inventory of office supplies and reorders as needed.
- Assists in the coordination of arrangements for meetings, trainings and special activities.
- Processes employment verifications.
- Keeps the filing system up to date.
- Provides general support to other HR Staff.
- Assist applicants and members of the Amherst community needing support to enter their information in the Applicant Tracking System.
- Provides support over the phone and answers requests for status of applications.
- Gathers documents from new employees, makes copies, and provides necessary documents to complete the hiring process.
- Develops and monitors the master calendar for all HR activities.
- Updates information in the HR website, as requested.
- Updates the department's Facebook page as needed.
- Updates web based forms.
- Associates degree in Office Administration, Secretarial Sciences or equivalent.
- 1-3 years of experience in a similar position.
- Experience in the use of MS Office and other web based systems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to develop productive and respectful interpersonal relationships.
- Customer service oriented.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (e-mail and/or telephone number) for three professional references. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
Amherst College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities to apply. The College is committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff.
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 49 states, plus D.C., Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst a great place to work, learn and live!