Part-time, 18 hours per week, year round casual position, no benefits, hourly rate commensurate with experience and qualifications
The Caretaker is responsible for the cleaning and upkeep of the Homestead and The Evergreens, including regular maintenance, preventive care of collection objects on display, basic building repairs, and seasonal chores.
Participates in training opportunities for museum employees as appropriate including one-on-one training for object handling and preventive collections care.
Takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
- Sweep, vacuum, mop, and polish floors
- Clean and sanitize sinks and bathrooms
- Dust shelves and furniture
- Collect and dispose of trash and recycling, adhering to waste and recycling pick-up schedules
Preventive Collections Care
- Perform collections care cleaning of artifacts
- Perform preventive collections care, including high dust around room architecture, dust surfaces of large furnishings and individual objects; vacuum textiles and upholstered furniture; damp mop/wipe floor perimeters and windowsills
- Clean/monitor other collections storage areas and administrative spaces
- Report signs of rodent or insect activity promptly to supervisor and take steps toward mitigation when appropriate
- Check Museum spaces and basements for environmental changes requiring staff response
- Monitor security and condition of windows and doors, and report problems to supervisor
- Monitor inventory of cleaning/guest supplies, bathroom towels and paper, etc., and replenish as needed
- Maintain lights/fixtures, replace bulbs as needed with items approved for museum use
- Monitor and report promptly to supervisor signs of interior or exterior damage (e.g. loose plaster)
- Check buildings and grounds for security conditions requiring staff response.
- Assist with other maintenance and basic repair tasks as needed.
- Make arrangements with Amherst College Service Center for maintenance and repair tasks in consultation with supervisor.
- Sweep walkways, verandas and porches regularly and before scheduled events to keep clear of snow, pollen, and dirt.
- Collect and dispose of litter as needed.
- Assist in set-up and break-down for special public programs.
- Be familiar with the museum's visitor experience and schedule to help respond to inquiries and questions
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills including ability to follow to follow verbal and written instructions and keep a log of activities.
- Strong customer service, organizational and time management skills.
- Able to work independently.
- Attention to detail.
- High school or vocational diploma, or equivalent
- Previous cleaning or custodial experience.
- Interest in museums, history, literature, Emily Dickinson
Interestedcandidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (e-mail and/or telephone number) for three professional references, orcomplete the online application. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities to apply. The College is committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff.
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!