Amherst College invites applications for the position of Second Cook - PM.
Amherst College has profoundly transformed its student body in terms of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and nationality, among other areas. Today, nearly one-quarter of Amherst's students are Pell Grant recipients; 45 percent of our studentsidentify as domestic students of color. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
- Provide operational supervision, both directly and in conjunction with the First Cook, over the daily culinary operations while supporting the culinary team with the planning, production, and implementation of menus and systems
- Participate in employee training and development and the assessment of team member performance
- Provide and maintain the tools, information, resources, and support necessary to enable individual and the team's success
- Support operational standards and Health Department regulations
- Ensure all areas are maintained in an orderly, clean, and sanitary manner, as well as oversee the complete breakdown and cleaning of all equipment
- Ensure production of menu items are to standard
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Current ServSafe Manager Certification or be able to achieve within (6) months of employment
- Allergen Awareness as required by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- 3 - 5 years of food preparation experience including hot and cold food production, high volume catering/banquet production, buffet presentation, a'la carte cooking, baking, and pastry
- Associate's degree or equivalent in Culinary Arts
- Supervisory experience
Environmental and Physical Demands
This position involves frequent exposure to extreme heat and cold, wet and humid environments, sharp tools, machinery, chemicals, grease laden vapors and fumes, and high noise levels. One must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull up to 50 lbs. and occasionally lift, push, pull, and carry objects over 50 pounds with assistance. The position requires constant/repetitive motions involving the range of full body use including fingers, arms, knees, hands and wrists.
Interestedcandidates should submit a cover letter, resume, or complete the online applications, and provide the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities to apply. The College is committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff.
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!
Apply online with the click through above