Amherst College invites applications for the position of Third Cook - AM. Amherst College has profoundly transformed its student body in terms of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and nationality, among other areas. Today, nearly one-quarter of Amherst's students are Pell Grant recipients; 45 percent of our studentsidentify as domestic students of color. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
- Prepare assigned menu items to standard, including hot and cold food menu items while adhering to standardized recipes and production methods
- Maintain operational standards and Health Department regulations
- Ensure all areas are maintained in an orderly, clean, and sanitary manner
- Set-up food items prior to and during meals meeting established standards, manage the rotation of goods to ensure highest quality
- Help create, maintain, and serve seasonal, fresh menus from exceptional ingredients
- Assist with product and process refinement
- Assist with new product research and development
- Corrects discrepancies in production sheets and recipes
- Assist with the inventory of storage and supply areas
- Inspect deliveries for quality and accuracy and communicate deficiencies
- Communicate product needs through appropriate channels
- Work effectively to reduce waste and loss of supply and goods
- 2 years of food preparation experience including hot and cold food production, breakfast production and egg cookery, high volume catering/banquet production, buffet presentation, a'la carte cooking, baking, and pastry
- Strong verbal and written communication, customer service, organizational, and time management skills
- Ability to taste and work with any and all ingredients used
- 3 - 5 years of experience in a similar, high volume, scratch operation
Environmental and Physical Demands
This position involves frequent exposure to extreme heat and cold, wet and humid environments, sharp tools, machinery, chemicals, grease laden vapors and fumes, and high noise levels. One must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull up to 50 lbs. and occasionally lift, push, pull, and carry objects over 50 pounds with assistance.
Interestedcandidates should submit a cover letter, resume, or complete the online application and provide the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities to apply. The College is committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff.
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live
, Third Cook-AM