Amherst College invites applications for the Dining Services Server position. Amherst College has profoundly transformed its student body in terms of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and nationality, among other areas. Today, nearly one-quarter of Amherst's students are Pell Grant recipients; 45 percent of our studentsidentify as domestic students of color. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
The Dining Services Server is a full-time, 40 hour per week, year round position, with a job group and level of AO-1. The Dining Services Server, having knowledge of all ingredients, is committed to quality and excellent customer service. The Server works on the food lines and/or in the salad bar as assigned. Ensures all food items, proper serving utensils, and menu signage are ready for service; and cleans the line during and after service. Takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
The work schedule varies and corresponds to the College's operational needs, but generally is Tuesday thru Saturday, 11:30 am to 8:00 pm either/or 12:30 pm to 9:00 pm. Our work is central to student life and their needs occur at a variety of times throughout the day, week, and year and in such, a flexible schedule with extended shift times is required. In addition, the position is designated as providing essential services and may be required to report to work, or remain on duty even when the College is closed.
- Set up food lines with the needed utensils and equipment prior to meal service
- Call for all needed items to the culinary team
- Engage with customers by promoting local foods and newly featured menu items
- Serves entrees and sides to our guests, cleans and maintains serving areas
- Retrieve supplies and restock necessary food items for the food stations
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the supervisor and or manager on duty, including but not limited to, light cleaning, table wiping and other sanitation duties
- Basic math skills
- Strong time management skills including the ability to follow verbal and written communications
- Excellent customer service skills, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Able to work extra shifts and/or overtime if needed
- Must be able to successfully complete a pre-employment physical and lift test
- High school or vocational school diploma/certification or equivalent
- Occasional exposure to extreme temperatures, wet and greasy floors
- Lift, carry, push and pull up to 35 lbs.
- Ability to bend, push, squat, and reach
- Extended periods of standing and walking
- Visual - normal concentration
- Repetitive motions including hands, wrists, fingers and arms
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume (or complete the online application), and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities to apply. The College is committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff.
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!