Amherst College invites applications for the Prep Cook position. Amherst College has profoundly transformed its student body in terms of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and nationality, among other areas. Today, nearly one-quarter of Amherst's students are Pell Grant recipients; 45 percent of our studentsidentify as domestic students of color. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
The Prep Cook is a full-time, year round position, job group and level AO-1. The Prep Cook supports the efforts of Amherst College Dining Services in providing the campus community with excellent service and production of our menus. This positon assists the culinary team with the production and implementation of menu items. This individual takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
The work schedule varies and corresponds to the College's operational needs, but generally is Saturday through Wednesday, 11:30 am to 8:00 pm. As our work is central to student life, their needs occur at a variety of times throughout the day, week, and year and in such, a flexible schedule with extended shift times is required. This individual may be asked to work in other areas of the operation based on business demand. In addition, the position is designated as providing essential services and should report to work, or remain on duty even though the College is closed.
- Prepare to established standards: assigned ingredients for menu items.
- Adhere to standardized recipes and production methods
- Maintain operational standards and Health Department regulations; all areas are maintained in an orderly, clean, and sanitary manner
- Produce and Organize Food items prior to need with clear and concise labeling in effort to manage the rotation of goods to ensure highest quality
- Ensure recipes are followed, uniform production standards are met, and all items are of the highest possible quality
- Maintain production records effectively
- Ensure that equipment used is in sound, working order; tools used are properly cared for and stored
- Perform work in a safe and efficient manner; Ensure operational organization at the start, during and completion of shift.
- Assist with the inventory of storage and supply areas
- Inspect deliveries for quality and accuracy and communicate deficiencies
- Communicate product needs through appropriate channels
- Work effectively to reduce waste and loss of supply and goods
- Maintain effective production records
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 1+ year of food preparation experience
- Strong verbal and written communication, customer service, organizational, and time management skills
- Ability to taste and work with any and all ingredients used
- Ability to mathematically reduce and expand measurements required by recipe
- Attention to detail
- Work flexible hours based upon departmental needs including extended shifts
- Must successfully complete pre-employment physical and lift test
- Servsafe Certification (must be able to achieve and maintain certification within 6 months of hire)
- Prior foodservice production
- Culinary training, certification or degree
- Volume production experience
- Frequent exposure to extreme heat and cold, wet and humid environments, sharp tools, machinery, chemicals, grease laden vapors and fumes, and high noise levels
- Ability to lift, carry, push, and pull up to 50 lbs. and occasionally lift, push, pull, and carry objects over 50 pounds with assistance
- Constant/repetitive motions involving the range of full body use including fingers, arms, knees, hands and wrists
- Requires bending, squatting and stooping, reaching outward and above head, constant walking and standing, and ascending/descending stairs
- Manual dexterity including grasping and manipulating tools/equipment, and adjusting controls
- Close visual concentration including the ability to perceive color, contrast, and depth
- Ability to taste and work with any and all ingredients used
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!
Amherst College does not discriminate in admission, employment, or administration of its programs and activities on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender expression, and gender identity), age, disability, genetic information, military service, or any other characteristic or class protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. Amherst College complies with all state and federal laws that prohibit discrimination, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, Title IX, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Equal Pay Act and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act. Inquiries should be addressed to the Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer, Amherst College, P.O. Box 5000, Amherst, MA 01002-5000
Location/Region: Amherst, MA (US - 01002)