Provide a brief summary describing the major role, responsibilities and purpose of the job. Summarize key areas of accountability and budget responsibility, if applicable.
The Sales Specialist will promote approved products in the assigned therapeutic area portfolio to prescribing HCPs in assigned territory.
Describe the essential job duties. After each, provide an estimate of the percent of time typically devoted to each responsibility (use increments of 5%, all time spent should total to 100% of time allocation). To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Please note the percentage of time spent on each job duty is an estimate for normal operating conditions.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with target HCPs.
- Deliver MLR approved, education-focused messages, as well as the assigned therapeutic area disease-state information to target HCPs.
- Business Planning/Execution 100%
- Enhance HCP awareness of Shire products clinical data, safety & efficacy.
- Equip HCPs with appropriate tools to facilitate a robust conversation, enabling them to teach their patients about the assigned therapeutic area.
- Build HCP knowledge and confidence in identifying treatment gaps in all domains.
- Increase awareness of the assigned therapeutic area, and help HCP identify treatment gaps in diagnosed patients.
- Expected to achieve call activity and adherence targets; as well as financial goals for assigned territory.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in a scientific field.
- Two or more years of pharmaceutical sales experience or equivalent are required.
- Two or more years of specialty pharmaceutical experience or equivalent required, preferably in the assigned therapeutic area.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of healthcare institutions and commercial managed care; experience selling within healthcare institutions preferred.
- Eye care/Ophthalmology experience preferred
Key Skills and Competencies
Builds and Leverages Relationships
Partner with internal and external stakeholders to share knowledge and influence outcomes
- The Sales Specialist creates networks with customers and colleagues in own area of expertise.
Demonstrates Business Acumen
Leverage critical data and build business plans to drive performance
The Sales Specialist collaborates with manager to create territory plan; has general knowledge of industry practices and how it affects impacted customers at Shire; influences HCPs.
Applies Selling Skills
Articulate a customized customer value proposition and influence key decision makers
The Sales Specialist uses the current selling model- exercises judgment within defined procedures.
Drives Results and Execution
Set challenging objectives and raise the bar on performance to achieve results
The Sales Specialist seeks guidance and mentorship - works under very general supervision.
Supporting the Regulatory Environment
Ensuring business is conducted within appropriate medical, legal, regulatory and compliance guidelines; ensuring the utmost integrity in all business dealing.
Other Job Components
Complexity and Problem Solving
Items listed under “Primary Roles and Responsibilities” are under the authority of the Specialist.
Adjusts approach as appropriate and within compliance and MLR guidelines; consult with Regional Leader or Director, on more complex issues.
Understands and navigates complete customer and industry environments.
Internal and External Contacts
Collaborates with all direct and indirect leadership on sales and marketing initiatives.
Collaborates with other field based colleagues and field sales trainers.
Continuous market based travel required.