District Managers are responsible for developing and managing a group of field associates in all field sales activities in the assigned district which includes the following: growing sales and retaining existing customers by providing excellent service; gaining new sales through new products and new customers, and providing the field associates with the proper training on food safety and sanitation to ensure they conduct high quality surveys and support the field team on maintaining our equipment.
We prefer candidates currently residing in or willing to relocate to Birmingham, AL however we are open to considering other locations within the District.
- Coaches and trains a team of field associates through formal training programs and informal conversations to foster the learning and development of the field associates
- Considers training and developing associates as “job one”
- Responds to daily requests and needs of a team of field associates
- Recruits, hires and retains qualified associates
- Trains and coordinates the onboarding process for the new hires
- Sets high standards and models the behavior they want to see in others
- Complete and maintain weekly, monthly quarterly reporting
- Utilizes internal reports to drive business results and make district decisions
- Manages expenses for the district’s meetings, travel, labor, equipment and repair parts, field stock, and samples
- Manage assets for the district such as vehicles, tools, equipment, parts, and office equipment
- Accompanies field associates on field visits within territories and required intervals (minimum twice a year)
- Demonstrates proper procedures involved with repairing, replacing and installing equipment.
- Develops individual development plans with each assigned field associate
- Provides honest, constructive and ongoing feedback on performance with field associates
- Plans and assists in new store rollouts/installs as required
- Communicates goals, objectives, successes, competitive strategies, customer requirements and product information to the field associates
- Recognizes and rewards individual and team achievement effectively.
- Demonstrates knowledge of district objectives and the business plan to achieve goals
- Retains customers through creating high customer satisfaction and provides customers with the necessary resources
- Directs field team on how to upsell products to current customers
- Resolves customer issues and problems efficiently and effectively
- Addresses customer concerns and follows up regularly
- Completes store visits when territories are vacant or as needed within the district
- Ability to work nights and weekends as needed
- Ability to do overnight travel as needed
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- 21 years of age or older
- Valid driver’s license, acceptable Motor Vehicle Record
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Proficient in MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Exceptional communication & organizational skills
- Self-discipline and high sense of urgency
- Possess or ability to obtain state certification and business licensing (time to obtain based on state requirements)
- ICFSM certification
- Related industry experience
- Previous sales experience
- Good decision-making and problem solving skills when handling challenging situations in a fast-paced environment
- Aptitude to implement change initiatives
Dimensions Size of Business / Scope
- Market size (scale) varies by geography:
- Metro markets may cover the city and surrounding area
- Rural markets may cover large portions of a state or states
- Work in a safe manner and strive for zero work related incident
- Adhere to all Ecolab safety policies (Driver, Workplace, Chemical, etc.) and actively support Ecolab’s culture of safety for our associates and customers
- Ensure proper/safe use of equipment, safeguards, PPE and hazardous materials
- Practice safe driving behaviors and maintain safe driving record
- Report hazards/incidents to manager without delay
- Must have the ability to Lift/Carry up to 50 pounds floor to waist
- Must be able to access and be comfortable with working in a variety of conditions to include restaurant kitchens, greasy, damp and/or dusty locations, confined spaces, and possible hot conditions.
- Must be able to physically perform the essential duties of the position which include lifting, crouching, kneeling, reaching, hand coordination handling parts and tools, walking, standing, sitting, climbing stairs and ladders.
- Must be able to lift and carry tool bag from your vehicle to all customer locations.
Location/Region: Birmingham, AL