Amgen is seeking a Principal Data Scientist to be based in our Thousand Oaks, CA global headquarters, who will report into the Executive Director of Data Science.
The Principal Data Scientist, internally known as a Senior Data Scientist, will develop innovative and fit-for-purpose analytical strategies and anticipate and identify opportunities for Analytics to support novel study designs and targeted identification of operational risks. The Incumbent will identify opportunities to turn data requirements into analytic techniques that produce the data pipeline whilst develop innovative and effective approaches to solve client's analytics problems and communicate results and methodologies. Further, the Principal Data Scientist will recommend ongoing improvements to methods and algorithms that lead to findings, including new information.
Primary Responsibilities for the Principal Data Scientist include:
- Identifies available and relevant data, including internal and external data sources, and leverages new data collection processes
- Leverages strong programming skills (such as Hadoop MapReduce or other big data frameworks, Java), and statistical modeling (like Python, SAS or R)
- Understands customer requirements / issues with support from the Data Science Head and helps make key design decisions
- Communicates requirements and overarching data science objectives to internal and external teams
- Collaborates with Design team and other key stakeholders to equip staff with compelling information and evidence for design sessions
- Identifies supportive technologies and data sources for the Development organization
- Applies advanced statistical and predictive modeling techniques to build, maintain, and improve multiple real-time decision systems
- Understands business needs and delivers targeted analytics while providing thought leadership and training
- Collaborates with partners (internal and external) and interact with customers
- Build partnerships with Therapeutic Areas (TAs)
- Partners with data stewards in continuous improvement processes impacting data quality in the context of the specific use case
Doctorate degree and 2 years of Data Science and/or Information Systems experience
Master’s degree and 4 years of Data Science and/or Information Systems experience
Bachelor’s degree and 6 years of Data Science and/or Information Systems experience
Associates’ degree and 10 years of Data Science and/or Information Systems experience
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of Data Science and/or Information Systems experience
- PhD in Statistics, Machine Learning, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, or any other related quantitative field
- 6+ years’ experience in clinical research and/or predictive analytics
- Applications of NLP and machine learning algorithms
- Experience with variety of data analysis and modeling methods particularly in their application to biological systems (i.e. Unsupervised (PCA, K-Means), Supervised (Linear/Logistic Regression including PLS, Deep Learning approaches), Bayesian, Fourier/Laplace)
- Proficient in SQL, Python, R and familiar with HDFS
- Familiarity and background with biotechnology processes and regulatory requirements
- Biological domain understanding: masters/phD in a biologically relevant field (i.e. biological engineering, biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, bioinformatics)
- Strong statistics and programming background with proven experience delivering on data science and machine learning projects (experience with Bayesian and deep learning approaches are a big plus)
- Familiarity with DevOps and good software practices (i.e. version control, continuous integration, test driven development)
- Strong communication skills and experience with client engagement: candidate's will have outstanding experience engaging directly with clients (scientific/biological experience is preferred) in developing data science/machine learning or other software solutions
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people’s lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world’s leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Location/Region: Thousand Oaks, CA